Sunday 6 July 2014

Music Video Analysis (8)

Waves - Mr Probz
This is a narrative video.

Camera:
-establishing shot = long shot of an island from the sea
-areil shot of a beach, setting the scene
-various long shots of the island all setting the scene/narrative
-close ups of a man washed up on the island
-close ups and mid shots of the couple happy together
-deep focus to show us what the man is looking at (bar scene) seeing things from his perspective

Sound:
-music starts straight away

Mise en scene:
-tropical island, links in with the lyrics "sands on the horizon" and "wave after wave" accompanied by mulitple shots of the sea
-busy bar/holiday destinations when he is happy with her compared to loneliness of the island

Editing:
-fades when he is remembering back to being with his girlfriend/partner
-fast paced jump cuts when beat picks up between him on the island and them as a couple (1:20 to 1:28)

Lyrics:                                                            Analysis:
My face above the water
My feet can't touch the ground,
Touch the ground, and it feels like
I can see the sands on the horizon          (he feels free without her) 
Every time you are not around

[Chorus:]
I'm slowly drifting away (drifting away)      (leaving her)  
Wave after wave, wave after wave
I'm slowly drifting (drifting away)
And it feels like I'm drowning                   (he feels bad leaving her, she keeps pulling him  
Pulling against the stream                         back) 
Pulling against the stream 

I wish I could make it easy                       (he thinks she finds it hard to love him, his 
Easy to love me, love me                           reason to want to leave) 
But still I reach
To find a way
I'm stuck here in between                        (stuck between leaving and staying) 
I'm looking for the right words to say

[Chorus:]
I'm slowly drifting away (drifting away)
Wave after wave, wave after wave
I'm slowly drifting (drifting away)
And it feels like I'm drowning
Pulling against the stream
Pulling against the stream

No comments:

Post a Comment