Sunday 6 July 2014

Music Video Analysis (6)

Train - Hey Soul Sister


This is a performance video with a short narrative that links with the lyrics showing a typical boy meets girl love story. 

Camera:
-establishing shot (long shot), tilt shows the setting and the band in that setting, urban area
-zooms in on the band and lead singer
-close ups on singer and instruments being played
-pans are used often around the band, to show all of them

Editing:
-the lyrics are written on walls etc
-the male and female characters are shown in a frame by frame way, the lyrics are based around them, this makes them seem detached from reality all of them however when they meet things become smoother
-quite fast paced between shots which compliments the upbeat song

Mise en scene:
-set in quite an urban area, out on the street corner
-women is put in a completely white setting which suggests her purity or innocence
-there are 2 characters in the narrative who meet at the end, man is black, woman is white

Sound:
-there is no diegetic sound for the narrative, just the band performing the song.

Lyrics:                                                                                          Analysis:
Heeey heeeey heeeeey

Your lipstick stains on the front lobe of my left side brains
I knew I wouldn't forget you                                             (a girl he can't forget) 
And so I went and let you blow my mind
Your sweet moonbeam
The smell of you in every single dream I dream                 (she's always on his mind) 
I knew when we collided you're the one I have decided
Who's one of my kind

Hey soul sister, ain't that mister mister on the radio, stereo      (They belong together) 
The way you move ain't fair you know
Hey soul sister, I don't wanna miss a single thing you do tonight

Heeey heeeey heeeey

Just in time, I'm so glad you have a one track mind like me
You gave my life direction
A game show love connection, we can't deny I I-I-I-I
I'm so obsessed
My heart is bound to beat right out my untrimmed chest       (has intense feelings for her) 
I believe in you, like a virgin, you're Madonna
And I'm always gonna wanna blow your mind

Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister on the radio, stereo
The way you move ain't fair you know                                 (he finds her attractive) 
Hey soul sister, I don't wanna miss a single thing you do tonight

The way you can't cut a rug
Watching you's the only drug I need
So gangster, I'm so thug
You're the only one I'm dreaming of
You see I can be myself now finally                                  (he's comfortable around her,  
In fact there's nothing I can't be                                         loves her) 
I want the world to see you'll be with me

Hey soul sister, ain't that mister mister on the radio, stereo
The way you move ain't fair you know
Hey soul sister, I don't wanna miss a single thing you do tonight
Hey soul sister, I don't wanna miss a single thing you do tonight
Heeey heeeey heeeeey (tonight)
Heeey heeeey heeeeey (tonight)

No comments:

Post a Comment