Saturday 5 July 2014

Music Video Analysis (3)

Gabrielle Aplin - Panic Chord 


This is a narrative video. 

Camera:
-establishing shot = long shot of her on the bed with her guitar which sets the scene 
-close ups on her hands etc playing the guitar and of her singing
-pull focus shows the reactions of both people at the same time

Editing:
-looking bak on memories, cuts from her looking at objects to the memories attached to them
-cuts between her playing the guitar and the narrative 

Sound:
-there only sound is the music track, its cuts to her on her own playing it away from the narrative

Mise en scene:
-all around her home-comfortable, light colours which adds to the sense that they are memories
-guitar to add emphasis on her performing the song
-looking through "a box of souvenirs" which is a metaphor for what their relationship has become. 

Lyrics:                                                                          Analysis:
Ahhhhhhhh
Ahhhhhhhh


You kept all the things I threw away
A leaf I picked, a birthday card I made            (Only memories are left of their relationship)
Holding on to memories of you and me
We didn't last a year, oh
We're just a box of souvenirs
'Cause



Maybe I pulled the panic cord
And maybe you were happy, I was bored       (They weren't working out, he was happy but
Maybe I wanted you to change                       she wasn't)
Maybe I'm the one to blame



This meant more to you than it did to me
I was full of doubt and you believed
The more that you keep coming over           (Contrasts between how they both felt about the
The more I know it's over, dear                    relationship)
We're just a box of souvenirs
And



Maybe I pulled the panic cord
Maybe you were happy, I was bored
Maybe I wanted you to change
Maybe I'm the one to blame



Maybe you were just too nice to me
Maybe it took me way too long to leave     (Questioning why she wasn't happy, lots of 
Maybe once we felt the same                     possible reasons)
Maybe I'm the one to blame
Maybe I'm the one to blame



Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do
That's the way the story goes, oh
Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do
That's the way the story goes, oh



Maybe I pulled the panic cord
And maybe you were happy, I was bored
Maybe I wanted you to change
Maybe I'm the one to blame
Maybe you were just too nice to me
Maybe it took me way too long to leave
Maybe once we felt the same
Maybe I'm the one to blame                 (Realisation the end of the relationship was down to 
Maybe I'm the one to blame                   her)
Maybe I'm the one to blame



No comments:

Post a Comment